I did this design using 2 of the nail paints from Barry M’s recent aquarium collection. Some of you may have noticed I use Barry M nail paints a lot and I do admit I have a bit of an addiction. Whenever they release new nail paints I can’t help myself lol.
I painted all nails with the blue duochrome shade from this collection. The colour shift on this shade is quite subtle as it is just made up of two different shades of blue.
However I absolutely love the finish on this. It is so shiny lol. It as a nice bright blue metallic finish and reminds me a bit of their foil effect nail paints. I had always hoped that they would have done more shades other than the silver, gold and limited edition lilac foil effect. A champagne or rose gold foil effect would have been nice.
Next I used the gold chunky glitter nail paint from the aquarium collection. I blobbed this onto the tips in a kind of triangular shape. On the ring finger I put it on the opposite side of the nail.
This nail paint is pretty as well and is made up of randomly shaped chunks of gold and light pink flakes.
For this week’s look, I wanted to make use of one of the magnetic nail polished that I have lying around.
But of course just that on it’s own is too boring for me, so I quickly added a few spots to the ring fingers using a dotting tool to make it a bit more unique.
The red I used is from Barry M’s retro colours, hence the title of this post lol.
I thought it would be best to use a more monochrome magnetic colour like this grey/silver so that the red would stand out better. You can still see flashes of multicoloured glitter in the magnetic nail paint though, so it’s not completely colourless.
It was nice and simple to quickly execute, yet it offers a bit more than just a plain magnetic manicure.
The two nail varnishes used for this look were given to me by a friend for my birthday earlier this year.
I first painted all nails in 2 coats of a pink textured nail varnish.
I would describe it as a metallic pink, with a decent grain of texture. I also feel it is a bit matte.
It reminds me a little bit of either the dull side of a piece of tin foil that has been scrunched up loads, or the finish on those silver boards you get birthday cakes on.
On top I added a hex glitter. It is made up of non shiny hex shapes in red, white and black. I added it just to the top halves of each nail.
I was worried the clear base of this glitter would ruin the textured effect of the pink. However as it dried it seemed to evaporate away, which was quite strange lol. Luckily it didn’t stop the glitter from sticking, but after a few days I did notice the odd speck flake off though.
Ever since I first purchased the Dolly Mixture confetti effect by Barry M I have had the idea for this one. It has just took me this long to have enough free time to spend as much time as I wanted to on this. I know the whole cupcake/fairy cake nails thing has been done a million times before, but the confetti effect just screamed hundreds and thousands at me.
After adding my base coat I used 1 coat of a nude shade on all nails. I then painted the bottom halves of each nail with a pastel pink shade. Then using a striping brush and a neon pink shade, I added darker pink stripes over the pastel pink area only. This is to make the cake cases.
Next I used white for the icing. I decided to go for a silk white effect nail paint because even though the top coat would remove the matte finish to this nail paint, it still allowed the shimmer in the nail paint to shine through. I used a medium sized dotting tool and started by overlapping a line of dots just below where the pink area ends. I then brought it up in a smooth line to the top half of the nail in a half circle shape, before filling in the outline of the icing that I had just made. After this was dry I went over it to make it more opaque.
Next I added the hundreds and thousands to the icing using the dolly mixture confetti effect nail paint. I think the colours they used in this go very well with my cake design. While this was still wet, I added a red rhinestone to the top of the icing on each nail to make a cherry. I then finished everything off with a top coat.
Overall I’m really pleased with how it turned out in the end. I’m glad I waited until I had a weekend with a bit of spare time so that I could really focus on what I was doing rather than rushing everything. I also had to make my nails a bit more square at the tips before starting as they were filed round beforehand.
I call this upside down because the curve of the purple on the tips goes in the opposite way to the curve of the nail tips themselves.
I started by painting all nails in a gold foil nail paint. I used 2 coats.
Next I used Purple Countess, a royal textured glitter nail paint by Barry M. I painted the bottom half/ tip area in this, but I did it in a curved circular shape.
Next I added a little purple rhinestone to the gold part of each nail.
I then covered everything with topcoat because I wanted to see how the royal textured glitters looked with a topcoat over them. Although it looked a bit darker and still looked OK, these nail paints are definatley a lot more beautiful without a top coat over them.