I saw a video on Instagram a few weeks back where someone used one of those craft paper punches that punch out different shaped from paper to make some nail vinyls. I thought it was a great idea and as I have a few of those punches myself in flower shapes I knew I just had to try it out.
I started by painting a rectangle of nail polish in a dark pink shade on a silicone mat. Once it was dry I carefully peeled this rectangle away from the mat. I then used the craft paper punch in a flower shape to carefully punch out flowers of nail polish from the rectangle. I found that sometimes the shape did not punch out properly, so you will need to account for punching more flowers than you need. I put the successful flowers to one side.
On all my nails I painted one coat of a light brown shade just to act as a base to help the holo layer come out more opaque. I then painted 2 coats of a silver holo polish over the top of this.
Then using a clear polish as if it was glue, I painted onto my nail where I wanted to place the flower. I then carefully placed the flower on top. If there was any overhang or areas to clean up, I carefully removed this using a combination of nail scissors and a flat brush dipped in nail polish remover.
Where the centre of each flower was I placed a single small rhinestone. I then painted over the entire nail with the clear coat to help everything stick. I repeated this same process on the remaining nails until each nail had a flower on it. On the thumbs I decided to use 2. To finish the design I then coated everything in a layer of quick dry top coat. The main picture on my left hand was taken under artificial light as I felt this showed up the effect of the holo background better.
For this design I wanted something a bit busy that had something different going on for each nail.
On the index and little finger, I painted 2 coats of a bright pink base. On the remaining nails I painted 2 coats of a nude shade.
On the little finger, I sponged on a glittery pink to the tips make a gradient. On the middle finger, I sponged on the bright pink shade to the tips to also create a gradient.
On the ring finger, I painted a stripe of the glittery pink in a line down the centre of the nail. I then outlined this stripe with thin pink striping tape. On the thumb, I places a single stripe of the same striping tape going down the length of the nail.
On the thumb, I then placed 5 rhinestones in the middle of the nail on top of the stripe. I put a larger one in the middle, a medium sized one on either size, and then a smaller one on either size of this. On the index fingers, I placed a large rhinestone in the top middle of each nail and then a smaller one directly underneath that.
For this design I wanted to have the one half of each nail nude and the other half with a stamped design. I went for a deep red shade with gold stamped over the top as I felt these colours would look really good together.
I started by painting all nails in 2 coats of a very sheer light pink nude shade as a base and just to improve the overall look of the nails.
I then used normal DIY masking tape once this had dried well to tape off half of each nail. I then used a deep red shade to paint in the tip halves of each nail. I immediately removed the tape, cleaned up any mistakes carefully and let it dry very well.
I then prepared my stamping tools and used a lace type design on a plate labeled ‘Tian-Xin 19’. I re-taped up half of each nail along the same line as before so that the stamping only lands on the red areas. Working quickly and on one nail at a time I stamped in a gold colour onto each nail and removed the tape.
I cleaned up any excess around the nails and then used a small dotting tool and the same gold colour to add a line of dots to cover the edge of where the red colour ends. I then finished off the design with a top coat.
So only a few hours into the new year and I managed to break the ring finger nail on my right hand really low down. It was practically just under the line where the nail starts attaching to your finger on the one side. So I figured new year, new nails and cut them all down. I went for a simple design to compliment my nail length.
I started by painting all nails in one of my favourite shades; ‘Surfboard’ by Barry M from the Coconut Infusions range.
I can only best describe it as a light lilac shade which is a bit on the pink side, but also feels a bit grey at the same time. I used 2 coats on all fingers except the thumbs on which I used 1 coat.
On the ring fingers I then applied some black petrol effect rhinestones. I placed a larger one in the top corner, and then used 5 smaller ones in a half circle around it.
To complete the thumbs, I used 3 coats of a black multi glitter. This one is called ‘Rockstar’ from Barry M’s Glitterati polishes. I chose this shade to compliment the colour of the rhinestones.