For this design we have a mix of different things going on for each nail.
I started by painting the thumbs in 2 coats of a shimmery white shade. On top of this I used a purple crackle polish. It seems like it has been so long since I last used a crackle polish.
On the ring fingers I used DIY masking tape to tape off a triangle at the base of the nail. I painted over the nail with a dark purple shade. On top of this I painted 1 coat of a dense purple multi glitter polish, before removing the tape. On the line separating the purple from the plain nail, I placed a line of small gold coloured nail beads.
On the remaining fingers I covered the nails with 2 coats of the dark purple shade, except for the index finger on which I only used 1 coat.
I placed one single square gold nail stud on the middle fingers, and on the index finger I used 1 coat of the glitter polish.
For this design I wanted it to be quite subtle but a little bit bold at the same time.
I started by painting all nails in 2 coats of a very light pink shade.
This one is from Barry M’s frosted cupcakes collection, which has subtle flecks of silver glitter in it as well to add depth.
Once this was dry I used a thin brush and a red glittery nail polish to paint half moons on both the ring and thumb nails.
Finally I placed a line of gold coloured nail beads to cover the edge line of the half moons to neaten everything up.
This week is a simple micro bead nail look.
I have micro beads in teal as well and saw these 2 colours next to each other and thought they looked nice together.
As I have a nail paint in the teal colour as well I decided to paint all nails in this shade.
Then I used the bronze/copper coloured micro beads and added them to both ring fingers to make an accent nail.
I took these photos before adding top coat. Although the beads don’t look as good with top coat over the top, I like to still use it in order to make them last a lot longer.
When thinking about what I wanted to do for my nails this time, I was looking through my really old nail varnishes. In there I found a really old Cover Girl one from their Nail Slicks range in #49 Sheer Pearls. I’ve had this for at least 12 years I would say, but back then I wasn’t really into nail art and so only ever wore 1 colour at a time. I was surprised the consistency was still as liquidy as a new bottle of nail varnish, even though some seemed to be dried onto the inside of the bottle near the top.
It’s a light pink base with a pearl finish. When you move it in the light you can also see some bluish shimmer inside, which also looks slightly purple at times. I thought it would look nice as an overcoat on top of another colour nail varnish. To try it out I decided to put it over black. However as you can see in the pictures below it came out a lot more boring than I expected lol.
What I did was paint all nails except my ring finger and thumb with 2 coats of a black nail varnish. On the thumb and ring finger I painted on the retro blue colour by Barry M that I have. This is because on those nails I wanted to do something different.
Therefore, next I added some clear nail varnish to the ring fingers and thumbs one at a time. I then dipped this into some dark blue beads. Once that had had time to set I put plenty of topcoat over it to hold it all together. Although this sticks them all to each other as a solid looking thing, it makes them last a lot longer on the nail so I prefer to do it this way.
Then on the rest of the nails I painted them with the Cover Girl nail slick. Straight away I could see that the pink in the base was just too sheer to show up and that all I was going to get was the blue shimmer. However 1 coat was too streaky so I needed to add another coat. It does have a pearl finish to it still though I felt.
I think next time I need to try it over much lighter shades. This is because when I’ve used it on its own it looks really nice. However I think I will still try it out over a dark colour though rather than over black to see if this makes any difference. But to be fair I can’t really complain. I was shocked the consistency was so good after it had been sitting in the back of a drawer for so many years lol.
I’ve been playing a bit more with textures on the nail lately as I like the feel. This time I used some of the nail beads I was given for my birthday.
These are the MUA nail constellations, which are just as good as the other nail beads I have tried. However I didn’t like the packaging. The bottle has a thinner end to allow you to aim the beads better, but I found barley anything came out of the end which was too frustrating for me lol. So I ended up pouring some into a tray and dipping my fingers in.
I firstly painted all my nails with 2 coats of the purple. Then I added the blue on the bottom half of each nail only. These colours are from Barry M.
Then I painted a clear stripe across where the 2 colours meet and applied the beads. I used a cuticle stick to neaten up the stripe and pack the beads together better.
I then finished everything off with some top coat. I had to dab the top coat over the beads as it seems to pull the colour off otherwise. I have this problem with other nail beads as well. I need to try some other types of top coat to see if that is the cause. I like to seal everything in place with lots of top coat as I like my design to last a week.