For this design I tried out some nail foil for the first time. I did actually purchase this a while back but always put off trying it out because I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to use. However it was actually pretty easy to do and I wish I had of tried it out sooner.
I started by painting all my nails in 2 coats of my base colour. I went for a dark blue. Once this was touch dry I used a quick dry top coat over the top.
Next I selected the foils I wanted to use. I went for a light blue, silver and light pink to go with my base colour. Doing one nail at a time, I took a normal clear polish and removed most of the polish from the brush. Then I randomly dabbed it on parts of the nail. I let this dry for a few seconds and then placed the sheet of foil over the top, pressing it on gently and then removing it. This left random bits of foil in random places on the nail.
I repeated this on each nail, starting with the blue foil. After I did the same over each nail again but with the silver. After I repeated with the pink foil. Then on some nails, I felt that they needed a little more of the blue in places and so I went back over with the blue as needed.
Once I was happy with how my design looked, I went over my nails in a dry fast top coat. Unfortunately, this seemed to react a bit with the foils and it flattened out a lot of the ‘depth’ that they gave to the design. Therefore it did actually look a lot better than it does in the pictures. I’ve since looked online and it seems this is a common issue with foils. I think next time I will try a normal top coat first and then try my quick dry top coat over the top to see if it makes any difference.